Hoyas Cannot Muster One Final Comeback in 38-31 Loss to Fordham

Oct. 6, 2012

Box Score | Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Sophomore quarterback Stephen Skon (Lindenhurst, N.Y./Lindenhurst) came on strong in the second half, leading three scoring drives with two touchdown passes, but the Georgetown University football team (3-3, 0-0 Patriot League) allowed Fordham (4-2) into the end zone last, then could not score on its final two drives to fall, 38-31 on Saturday afternoon at Jack Coffey Field.

Skon completed 18-of-34 passes with two touchdowns and two interceptions, while rushing for 90 yards on 18 carries, while sophomore wide receiver Kevin Macari (Stamford, Conn./New Canaan) had five catches for 70 yards with two touchdowns. Junior running back Nick Campanella (Roselle, Ill./Montini Catholic) also had one rushing and one receiving touchdowns in the losing effort.

Overall, the Hoyas defense stopped the Rams behind the line of scrimmage 15 times, as senior linebacker Robert McCabe (Newtown Square, Pa./Malvern Prep), the FCS leaders in tackles per game, had 15 tackles with three tackles for loss. Sophomore defensive tackle Jordan Richardson (Athens, Ga./Athens Academy) had eight tackles with 3.5 tackles for loss and junior linebacker Dustin Wharton (LaVale, Md./Allegany) had 11 tackles with 2.5 tackles for loss to hold Fordham to 101 yards on the ground.

The Rams would excel in the passing game and on special teams, as Patrick Murray got Fordham on the scoreboard first, converting a 30-yard field goal to take a 3-0 early in the first quarter.

GU responded two series later. Skon completed a deep 32-yard pass down the right sideline to Macari, who adjusted and out-jumped the Rams cornerback. One play later, Macari rushed for a four-yard touchdown to give GU a 7-3 lead midway through the first quarter.

The Hoyas lead was short-lived, as Fordham drove 69-yards on nine plays, as Rams' quarterback Ryan Higgins ran away from trouble and found Greg Wilson for an 18-yard touchdown pass, to put the Rams back in front 10-7.

Georgetown moved the ball down to the one yard line early in the second quarter, but were kept out of the end zone by a strong Rams' defensive effort. Instead, taking a 19-yard field goal from Matt MacZura (Cranberry Twp., Pa./Central Catholic) to tie the score at 10 points apiece.

Murray would kick a pair of field goals in the second quarter, to send the Hoyas into halftime trailing 16-10. In the third quarter, the Rams appeared to break the game open, as Carlton Koonce converted a fourth down and short with a 44-yard touchdown run to take a 23-10 lead with 11:59 remaining in the third quarter.

But Skon and the Hoyas offense responded, using 11 plays to travel 82 yards, capping the drive with a two-yard touchdown pass to Macari to bring GU back within six points, at 23-17.

The Hoyas defense stuffed Fordham, but it looked as if the offense would stall midway through the third quarter. But Matt MacZura's punt was mishandled by the Rams and sophomore Daniel Wright (Washington, D.C./St. John's College) recovered inside Rams' territory. Skon took over, faking a hand-off, then completing a 28-yard pass to Brandon Durham (Mesquite, Texas/Dallas Christian) to get down to the five-yard line. On the next play, Campanella caught a five-yard touchdown pass from Skon, as GU regained the lead, 24-23.

On the ensuing drive, Higgins moved the Rams down the field picking up 74 yards on nine plays, capping the drive with a 25-yard touchdown pass to Blake Wayne. Fordham converted a two-point conversion pass to Dan Light to take a 31-24 lead at the end of the third quarter.

Early in the fourth quarter, Campanella took matters into his own hands, running for 31 yards to get down inside the Fordham ten yard line, before diving over top of a host of Rams' defenders for his second touchdown of the game, tying the game at 31 points.

Again, Fordham responded. This time, starting its drive inside Georgetown territory, the Rams went 47 yards in six plays, as Koonce rushed for a one-yard touchdown, his second of the game, to take a 38-31 lead.

Georgetown converted on three third down plays and were helped by two costly Rams' penalties, but were eventually stuffed three times on the one-yard line, to give the ball back to Fordham with under two minutes left in the game. Georgetown's defense held strong, forcing a punt with just over a minute left in the game to give it's own offense a final chance, though the Hoyas were unable to muster a comeback, falling 38-31.

The Hoyas return to Multi-Sport Field next Saturday, October 13 when they host defending Patriot League Champion Lehigh to open its league schedule. Tickets are now on sale for all the remaining 2012 Georgetown Football home games. For more information and to purchase, please click here or contact the Georgetown Athletic Ticket Office at 202-687-HOYA (4692) or

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned