Men's Soccer

Hoyas Down Virginia, 2-1, in Overtime

Aug. 25, 2012

Box Score | Photo Gallery

GERMANTOWN, Md. - It took six extra minutes, but the Georgetown University men's soccer team opened the 2012 season with a victory Friday evening at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Germantown, Md., as part of the ACC/BIG EAST Challenge. The Hoyas downed the University of Virginia Cavaliers (0-1), 2-1, in overtime thanks to an own goal to improve to 1-0 on the year.

"It wasn't the prettiest game from our point of view in terms of the soccer and what we're trying to do," said Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese. "It was a hard game, Virginia is young and unbelievably athletic with some really talented kids. At the end of the season, regardless of how the result came about, it's a great result for what we're trying to do."

After an early Virginia look in overtime, it was Georgetown that began to pressure offensively. The Hoyas began firing into the box and a service intended for a Hoya was redirected by one of the Cavaliers past the UVA keeper and into the back of the net for the own goal and the sudden victory in the 96th minute.

The result marked just the second time the Blue & Gray has defeated Virginia in nine meetings.

Just 10 seconds into the 2012 season, junior Steve Neumann (New Hope, Pa./Council Rock North) made his mark as one of the top scorers in the country with a goal from 15 yards out. The forward took advantage of a UVA turnover at the top of the box stripping the ball and taking two touches before burying it in the right corner making it 1-0.

Midway through the first, the Hoyas had a big opportunity off of a free kick as a header to the right post came close, but a foul called off the play.

Late in the half, Virginia had two of its best chances with back-to-back corner kicks. The Hoya defense stayed strong and kept the ball out of the net to make it 1-0 going into the break.

Early in the second, it looked as if the Hoyas would add to their total as sophomore midfielder Tom Skelly's (Albuquerque, N.M./Shattuck St. Mary's) header just hit the crossbar as the Blue & Gray searched for an insurance goal.

The search was necessary as the Cavaliers picked it up midway through the second half and began to look dangerous.

It came to a head in the 70th minute when a Georgetown defender passed back to goalkeeper Tomas Gomez (Webster Groves, Mo./Webster Groves) who picked it up under pressure. The illegal pick up from Gomez resulted in an indirect free kick by UVA from just six yards out. The shot was blocked, but ricocheted to defender Zach Carroll who fired a shot into the top right corner of the net for the equalizer.

From that point on, UVA had gained confidence and began to pressure on offense. In the final minutes of regulation, Georgetown had opportunities on corner kicks but couldn't connect forcing the extra time.

The own goal came just six minutes in to end the game by a score of 2-1.

The Hoyas were outshot, 10-9, and took just six corner kicks to Virginia's 10. Both squads managed four shots on goal. Gomez took the win in the net for Georgetown with three saves on the evening.

Georgetown will be back in action on Monday afternoon as the squad hosts the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles at 1 p.m., at North Kehoe Field. Live stats and a webcast will be available at

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned