Men's Basketball

Otto's Army Leads No. 11 Georgetown Past No. 8 Syracuse, 57-46, at Carrier Dome

Feb. 23, 2013

Box Score | Photo Gallery | Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

Syracuse, N.Y. - Sophomore forward Otto Porter Jr. (Morley, Mo./Scott County Central) scored 33 points and Georgetown used an 8-2 spurt in the second half to open a 10-point lead and beat No. 8 Syracuse, 57-46, in front of 35,012 fans at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.

It was the ninth-straight win for the Hoyas, who improve to 21-4 overall and 11-3 in the BIG EAST, while Syracuse falls to 22-5 overall and 10-5 in league play. The win streak is one shy of the longest against BIG EAST teams since a 10-win streak during the 2006-07 season.

It was the second-straight game a Georgetown player scored at least 30 points, as freshman guard D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (Indianapolis, Ind./Oak Hill) had 33 points in a 90-66 win over DePaul on Wednesday. Porter Jr. scored 16 points in the first half as Georgetown trailed 23-21, and then scored 17 in the second half en route to his career high night. He hit 12-of-19 shots from the field, including 5-of-10 from three-point land and all four of his free throws, while adding eight rebounds and five steals in the process.

Smith-Rivera scored seven points, had four rebounds and two assists, while junior forward Nate Lubick (Southborough, Mass./St. Marks) added five points and four rebounds, junior guard Markel Starks (Accokeek, Md./Georgetown Prep) chipped in five points and two assists, sophomore guard Jabril Trawick (Philadelphia, Pa./Abington Friends) added four points, five assists and two rebounds and junior center Moses Ayegba (Kano, Nigeria/Progressive Christian [Md.]) had one point and 10 rebounds in 27 minutes.

The Hoyas trailed at the break (23-21), but a three-pointer from Starks and a layup from Lubick in the opening two minutes gave Georgetown a 28-24 lead and forced Syracuse to call a time out. A 6-3 run from the Orange tied the game at 29-all but Georgetown used a 9-2 run and took a 39-31 lead on a Smith-Rivera three-pointer with 11:26 to play in the game. The Orange would pull to within four points, 41-37, on a dunk from Michael Carter-Williams, but Porter Jr. came to the rescue, hitting a three-pointer in front of the Georgetown bench and a free throw for a four-point play as the lead was back to seven points, 45-37, with 4:52 left.

That started the key 9-2 run, which was capped by a layup from Trawick at 3:02 to make it 47-39 and Starks' layup at 2;31 pushed the lead to 10 points, 49-39. One of two free throws from Jerami Grant with 1:36 left cut the lead to seven points, but Porter Jr. hit a layup and was fouled for a three-point play with 1:21 remaining, making it 52-42. The Hoyas picked up five of their final six points from the free throw line, taking their biggest lead, 57-44, on a free throw from Ayegba with 29 seconds left.

Syracuse used an 8-0 run over the final 2:24 of the second half to take a 23-21 lead into the break, with both teams struggling from the field. Georgetown completed the first half shooting only 23.3 percent (7-of-30), with Syracuse shooting 31.0 percent (9-of-29). An early run from the Orange gave the hosts a 12-4 lead after Georgetown's third field goal in the opening 9:25 and, after a free throw from Lubick at 10:11, the score was 12-7. Porter Jr. scored 12 of the next 14 points, with free throws from Smith-Rivera contributing to a 17-3 Hoya run over a span of 7:17 as Georgetown opened up a 21-15 lead on a jumper with 3:18 to play. SU scored the next eight points to take the lead at the break.

Georgetown continues its road swing on Wednesday, Feb. 27, visiting Connecticut. Tipoff at Gampel Pavilion is slated for 7 p.m. The game will be shown live on ESPN2 and can be heard locally on Sports Talk AM 570.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned