Men's Lacrosse

Hoyas Comeback, Then Hold Dartmouth to Claim Patriot Cup, 10-9

March 2, 2013

Box Score

DALLAS, Texas - Junior attack Jeff Fountain (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./St. Paul's School for Boys) scored the eventual game-winning goal with over three-minutes left, then junior goalie Jake Haley (Grasonville, Md./Queen Anne's County) and the Georgetown University men's lacrosse team (2-1, 0-0 BIG EAST) held Dartmouth (1-2, 0-0 Ivy League) scoreless the rest of the way to clinch a 10-9 victory for the Patriot Cup on Saturday afternoon at Gerald Ford Stadium on campus at SMU.

In a back and forth game with six ties and four lead changes, the Hoyas found themselves trailing by two goals, 9-7, midway through the fourth quarter. Senior midfielder Dan McKinney (Niskayuna, N.Y./Niskayuna) scored twice, his second goal coming with 4:16 remaining in the game tying the game at nine. Less than a minute later, during a man-up opportunity, Fountain, who led the team with two goals and four assists, received a feed from sophomore attack Reilly O'Connor (Brooklin, Ontario/The Hill Academy) in front of the cage and scored the go ahead goal.

Haley recorded two of his career-high 17 saves during the final three minutes to earn his first victory of the season in his first start of the season.

"I thought the guys did a great job facing adversity, down a couple of goals," Warne said. "We never really lost our rhythm, we just stuck to the plan, stuck to the little things and it helped us get the win at the end. I thought at points we probably played our best offense in that fourth quarter and defensively we didn't over extend ourselves, we didn't make slides that we didn't have to and Jake made 17 saves today."

Seven different players scored goals for Georgetown, with Fountain, McKinney and O'Connor each scoring twice and Fountain finding three different teammates for his four assists.

"When we run our offense the right way a lot of guys should score," Fountain said. "The guys off the ball, Reilly O'Connor and Brian Casey were moving hard and making it easy for me and I know as long as I get the ball to them they're going to finish."

Junior midfielder Zac Guy (Tully, N.Y./Tully) struck first for Georgetown with 8:32 remaining in the first quarter, gathering a rebound and scoring to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead. Dartmouth answered just over four minutes later, as Jack Connolly scored the equalizer. The Big Green took its first lead with 2:10 remaining in the first quarter on Cam Lee's goal to take a 2-1 lead at the end of one.

O'Connor tied the score for Georgetown, converting a Fountain feed into a goal. Fountain found senior attack Brian Casey (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Prep) with 7:02 remaining in the half, as the Blue & Gray regained the lead, 3-2. Dartmouth's Chris Costabile tied the score again, taking advantage of a man-up opportunity, but the regained the lead soon after, as sophomore midfielder Charles McCormick (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) scored on Fountain's assist to take a 4-3 lead. The Big Green retied the score with five seconds remaining in the half as Nikki Dysenchuk scored on Chris Costabile's feed, evening the score at four goals apiece at halftime.

The Hoyas came out of halftime quickly, as sophomore midfielder William Flatley (Berwyn, Pa./Conestoga ) scored a fast break goal, the first of his collegiate career, to regain the lead. Fountain scored just over a minute later to give GU a two goal lead, its largest lead of the game, at 6-4. The Big Green's Adam Hull quickly tied the score with a pair of goals separated by one minute, tying the game at six. Less than a minute later, O'Connor put Georgetown back in front, 7-6.

Dartmouth would go on a three-goal run, as Costabile scored with 1:17 remaining in the third quarter and again, 12 seconds into the fourth quarter, to take an 8-7 lead. Adam Fishman gave the Big Green its largest lead of the game with a goal at the 13:08 mark in the fourth quarter, making the score 9-7.

McKinney went to work, bringing GU within one goal on an unassisted score with 9:36 remaining in the game. Casey found McKinney in front of the net, as McKinney tied the score at nine goals apiece with 4:16 remaining in the game.

After a Haley save, with under four minutes left, Dartmouth's Cam Lee was flagged for an illegal body check, giving GU one final extra man opportunity. The Hoyas did not let it go to waste, as O'Connor found Fountain, who scored the game-winner for the second consecutive week, giving the Hoyas a 10-9 edge with 3:23 remaining.

Haley and the Hoyas defense did the rest, as Haley made two more saves during the last three minutes of the game to seal a 10-9 victory over the Big Green.

"I thought our defense played really well and helped me out," Haley said. "I was seeing the ball, we were competing and once we went down 9-7 to start the fourth quarter the defense knew the game was in our hands. If we stopped them, we knew our offense could come back and that's what we did."

Georgetown heads to Boston to take on its second consecutive Ivy League opponent when they face-off against Harvard on Friday, March 8 at 6 p.m

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned