Peter Conley scored two goals and had three assists for the Hoyas in a loss.

Men's Lacrosse

Hoyas Late Comeback Attempt Falls Short in 8-7 Loss at Towson

Feb. 22, 2014

Box Score

TOWSON, Md. - The Georgetown University men's lacrosse team (2-1, 0-0 BIG EAST) scored three of the game's last four goals, but it was not enough to overcome Towson University's 4-0 run between the second and third quarter (2-2, 0-0 CAA), as the Hoyas fell, 8-7 at Johnny Unitas Stadium on Saturday.

Georgetown was held scoreless for over 18 minutes between the end of the second quarter through the first two minutes of the fourth quarter, as Towson took a three-goal lead, at 7-4, the largest of the game, before GU's offense answered.

Freshman attackman Peter Conley (Larchmont, N.Y./Mamaroneck) led the Hoyas offense with two goals and three assists and senior Jeff Fountain (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./St. Paul's) had two fourth quarter goals, but it would not be enough in the Hoyas first loss of the season.

Graduate student Tyler Knarr (Eagleville, Pa./LaSalle College) won 11-of-19 face-offs, picked up eight ground balls and had one assist, while redshirt junior Jake Haley (Grasonville, Md./Queen Anne's County) had seven saves in the losing effort.

The Hoyas and Tigers played an even first half, featuring four ties and two lead changes. Charlie McCormick put Georgetown on the board early in the first quarter, dodging his way to the cage and finishing, to put the Hoyas in front 1-0. Towson answered soon after, as Ryan Drenner scored to tie the game at one goal apiece.

Conley's first goal of the game put GU back in front, as he picked up a rebound in front of the cage and deposited it in the back of the net for a 2-1 lead for the final goal of the first quarter with 6:14 remaining.

Towson controlled play throughout the second quarter. Ben McCarty re-tied the score at the 12:02 mark then took its first lead with 3:24 remaining in the half on Max Siskind's goal.

Georgetown surged back in front, as Devon Lewis scored with 1:19 remaining in the half. Tyler Knarr won the ensuing face-off, picked up the ground ball and dished to Conley for his second goal, five seconds later to regain a 4-3 lead. Towson's Greg Cuccinello scored with six seconds left in the half to knot the score at four going into the locker rooms.

Towson struck first in the third quarter, as Devin Grimaldi scored to take a 5-4 lead at 13:43. Thomas DeNapoli extended the Tigers lead moments later to take a 6-4 lead in the third quarter. Cuccinello's second goal of the game gave Towson a 3-0 advantage in the third quarter, to take a 7-4 lead into the fourth.

Eduardo White finally broke through for Georgetown in the fourth quarter on an assist from Conley at 12:57, bringing GU within two, at 7-5. After another Towson goal, Jeff Fountain scored on a two-man up situation to bring the Hoyas back within two goals, 8-6, midway through the fourth quarter. Fountain's second goal brought Georgetown within one goal with 33-seconds to play, but Towson forced a GU turnover and held onto the ball for the victory.

NOTES: Georgetown will take on another CAA opponent when they travel to Hempstead, N.Y. to play Hofstra on March 1. Opening face-off is scheduled for noon.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned