The Hoyas host Friends of Jaclyn Day on Saturday, April 5.

Men's Lacrosse

Hoyas Upset Bid Falls Short Against No. 2 Loyola in 10-9 Loss

March 19, 2014

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University men's lacrosse team (3-5, 0-1 BIG EAST) traded leads four times with No. 2 Loyola (7-1, 3-0 Patriot League) on a rainy Wednesday night at Multi-Sport Field, but were unable to make one final push, as the Hoyas upset bid fell short in a 10-9 loss to the Greyhounds.

The game featured seven ties and four lead changes, as the Hoyas opened both the first and fourth quarters with two-goal runs. Georgetown took its final lead early in the final frame with a pair of goals, eight seconds apart, from Devon Lewis (Orlando, Fla./Lake Highland Prep) and Reilly O'Connor (Brooklin, Ontario/The Hill Academy) to take a 9-8 lead. Though, Georgetown could not hold onto the one-goal advantage, as Loyola's Nikko Pontrello scored a pair to stave off the Hoyas.

Graduate student Tyler Knarr (Eagleville, Pa./LaSalle College) won 15-of-22 face-offs, picked up 15 ground balls and scored one goal, while redshirt junior Jake Haley (Grasonville, Md./Queen Anne's County) made 11 saves to keep GU close in a losing effort.

The Hoyas received production from a pair of freshman midfielders, with Peter Conley (Larchmont, N.Y./Mamaroneck) scoring two goals and dishing out one assist, while Lewis had two goals. Bo Stafford (Greenwich, Conn./Brunswick) and Charlie McCormick (Bronxville, N.Y./Bronxville) each had one goal and one assist.

The Hoyas possessed the ball for much of the first quarter, as Knarr controlled the face-off X, winning six-of-the-first-seven. The offense took advantage, as Lewis's first goal of the game came just 52 seconds after the opening face-off. Knarr kept the second face-off for himself, racing to the cage for his fourth goal of the season six seconds later, to take a 2-0 lead. It would be tied for the largest lead for either team, though short-lived.

Loyola answered quickly, as Pat Laconi and Matt Sawyer scored on the team's first two shots, tying the game at two goals apiece. Senior attack Jeff Fountain (Lutherville-Timonium, Md./St. Paul's) put GU back in front, scoring on diving shot, to make the score 3-2, but Loyola added a goal late in the first, ending the period in a 3-3 tie.

Stafford scored a man-up goal on a feed from Conley, 36 seconds into the second quarter to take a 4-3 lead. But the Greyhounds scored the next two goals to take its first lead of the game, 5-4, with 12:07 remaining in the second quarter.

Conley put GU back in front with a personal two goal run to give the Hoyas a 6-5 lead at the half.

McCormick opened the third quarter with a goal at the 11:30 mark, to put GU in front 7-5, tying the game's largest lead, before Loyola's three goal run dropped them behind, 8-7 going into the final period.

Lewis scored first in the fourth quarter, tying the score at eight, with 11:27 remaining in the game. O'Connor added another goal eight seconds on the assist from Stafford to put GU in front 9-8 with 11:19 left in the game.

Georgetown could not hang on, as Pontrello scored a goal with 7:55 remaining in the game to tie the score at nine. He later scored the game-winner with 52-seconds on the clock. Knarr won the final face-off, but could not get a final shot on goal, falling to the No. 2 Greyhounds, 10-9.

The Hoyas return to action when they travel to Villanova to take on the BIG EAST rival Wildcats on Tuesday, March 25. Live coverage of the Hoyas and Wildcats begins at 7 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned