Meghan Farrell

Women's Lacrosse

No. 14/16 Georgetown Falls to No. 19/RV Stanford, 11-10 in Double Overtime

March 9, 2014

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The No. 14/16 Georgetown University women's lacrosse team (3-2) led by as many as six goals in the second half, but No. 19/RV Stanford (5-1) rallied, scoring six unanswered tallies to send the game to overtime, before the Hoyas allowed the game-winner midway through the second overtime in an 11-10 loss at Multi-Sport Field on Sunday afternoon.

Georgetown was cruising when junior Caroline Tarzian (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) scored her third goal of the day with 23:49 remaining in the game to take a 10-4 lead. It would be the Hoyas' last goal, as the Cardinal went on a 6-0 run in regulation, capped by Alexandra Crerend's free position goal with 1.9 seconds left, sending the game to overtime.

GU fell on Lucy Dikeou's goal midway through the second overtime, handing the Hoyas its first loss to Stanford in five meetings.

Tarzian and senior Meghan Farrell (Bethesda, Md./Georgetown Visitation) each scored three goals to lead the Hoyas, while four other players scored goals for the Blue & Gray. Freshman goalkeeper Maddy Fisher (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) took the loss for GU with three saves to her credit.

The Hoyas were in control early, as Farrell scored an unassisted goal 47 seconds into the game to start a 5-0 run. Tarzian, Natalie Miller (Wayne, Pa./Radnor), Kelyn Freedman (Newtown Square, Pa./Radnor) and Jody Cumberpatch (Annapolis, Md./Annapolis) each scored goals through the opening 20-minutes to help Georgetown take a sizeable lead.

Rachel Ozer finally put Stanford on the scoreboard with 6:37 remaining in the first half, but Farrell responded just one-minute later. Stanford scored twice more 32-seconds apart, but Tarzian added a final goal before halftime, giving GU a 7-3 lead at the break.

Courtney Caputo (Philadelphia, Pa./Springside School) opened the scoring in the second half, with Farrell adding her third goal of the game less than a minute later, opening a 9-3 lead.

Stanford's Hannah Farr scored a man-up goal, but Tarzian answered with her third goal of the game to give the Hoyas a 10-4 lead. The goal would be the Hoyas' last, as the Cardinal closed to within one goal, 10-9 with under a minute to play.

Stanford pulled its goalkeeper with 50 seconds remaining, as they created a turnover, cleared the ball and drew a free position in front of the cage with 1.9 seconds remaining. Crerend dodged to the right side and scored with under one-second remaining to send the game to overtime, where they eventually won, 11-10.

Sunday's result marked the third-consecutive one-goal game for the Blue & Gray and the Hoyas' second in overtime this season.

Georgetown's slate won't get any eaier as the Hoyas return to action when they travel to Chapel Hill to play No. 1/1 North Carolina at 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 15. Live video will be available through the Tar Heels' athletic website.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned