<b> Junior forward Sarah Butterfield has scored three goals for the Hoyas this season.</b>

Field Hockey

Hoyas Emerge Victorious 2-1 in Overtime against Holy Cross

Sept. 13, 2014

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University field hockey team moves to 2-2 after defeating Holy Cross 2-1 in overtime at Hart Turf Field in Worcester, Mass., on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore forward Aliyah Graves-Brown (Harrisburg, Pa./Harrisburg Academy) scored the game-winning goal for the Hoyas in overtime.

Georgetown was quick out of the gate with shots by Emily Weinberg (Shaker Heights, Ohio/Hathaway Brown) and Sarah Butterfield (Bridgewater, N.J./Oak Knoll) less than one minute into the game. The Hoyas were able to control play and didn't allow a Holy Cross shot until the 16:25 mark in the first half that sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Skonecki (Mechanisburg, Pa./Red Land) saved.

GU was first on the board at the 21:36 mark as Butterfield received a ball from the left side of the field from Louise Chakejian (Chester Springs, Pa./The Episcopal Academy) that found the back of the goalie cage. The goal was the first of the season for Butterfield.

Holy Cross recorded one more shot at the 32:27 mark that Skonecki saved, and the score remained 1-0 in favor of the Blue & Gray heading into halftime.

The Hoyas and Crusaders traded shots in the second half until Holy Cross was able to sneak one past Skonecki at the 56:03 mark in the second half to tie the game 1-1. Holy Cross got one shot off in the last 14 minutes of regulation, but time expired with the score at 1-1 setting up the overtime period.

"I thought our best hockey of the match came in the first half today," said first-year Head Field Hockey Coach Shannon Soares. "We let some things slip in the second half and didn't quite play to our potential. With that said, we're very proud of our players for their resilience in the defensive end and for their ability to fight back in overtime."

In overtime, the Crusaders challenged Georgetown with a shot at the 74:18 mark, but Skonecki, who recorded a total of six saves, came up with the save.

Following a penalty corner by Holy Cross, Georgetown claimed possession of the ball and Graves-Brown beat a defender in the circle and broke away for the game-winning goal at the 77:44 mark in overtime. The goal was the third of the season for the forward.

The Hoyas have a quick turnaround as they travel to Providence, R.I., to take on the Brown Bears (2-0) tomorrow at noon. Live stats will be available the Brown University official athletics website - brownbears.com.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned