Georgetown lost to Utah, 75-64, in the third round of the NCAA Tournament.

Men's Basketball

No. 4 Georgetown Falls to No. 5 Utah in NCAA Tournament Third Round, 75-64

March 22, 2015

Box Score | Quotes | Photo Gallery 1 | Photo Gallery 2

Portland, Ore. - No. 4 seed Georgetown took an early lead in the first half, but No. 5 seed Utah used a late run to pull away from the Hoyas en route to a 75-64 win in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday evening at the Moda Center.

The loss ends Georgetown's season with a 22-11 overall record, while Utah (26-8) advances to the Sweet 16 next weekend in Houston.

Freshman forward L.J. Peak (Gaffney, S.C./Gaffney) scored 18 points to lead Georgetown, while freshman forward Isaac Copeland (Raleigh, N.C./Brewster Academy [N.H.]) added 14 points and four rebounds and senior guard Jabril Trawick (Philadelphia, Pa./Abington Friends) added 10 points before fouling out. Junior guard D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera (Indianapolis, Ind./North Central/Oak Hill), had 12 points and six assists, while senior center Joshua Smith (Kent, Wash./Kentwood/UCLA) had eight points and six rebounds.

In the second half, the Hoyas twice rallied back from seven-point deficits to tie the game, the last using a 7-0 spurt to tie the game at 49-all when Smith-Rivera fed Smith for a dunk. A pair of free throws from Smith tied the game at 53-all with 7:01 to play and Smith-Rivera's layup with 5:25 to play cut the Utah lead to 57-55. The Utes, however, used a 12-4 run over 3:11 and pushed their lead to 69-59 on a free throw from Deion Wright with 1:28 to play in the game.

A 3-pointer from Copeland cut the lead to 69-62 with 1:07 to play, but Utah hit six of eight free throws in the final minute to secure the win.

The Hoyas had fallen behind by seven points, 43-36, early in the second half, but used a 6-0 run to narrow the gap to one point after a 3-pointer from Copeland and a conventional three-point play from Peak. GU had three chances to tie or take the lead, but committed a turnover and missed two shots. Utah's Jordan Loveridge hit a 3-pointer and Dallin Bachynski converted a 3-point play to push the lead back to seven points, 49-42, with 10:36 to play.

Georgetown did not go away. A 3-pointer from Peak was the first of seven-straight points for the Hoyas, followed by a layup from Smith-Rivera and a dunk from Smith that tied the game at 49-all with 8:40 left in the game. The teams traded baskets in the next minute, with free throws from Smith tying the game at 53-all before Utah went on its decisive run.

Tied at 32-all at the break, the teams traded points in the opening minute-plus, with a layup from Smith-Rivera giving GU a 36-34 lead. The Utes, however, responded with three-straight 3-pointers, with Brandon Taylor's giving Utah a 43-36 lead and forcing GU to call a timeout at 17:10

Georgetown came out on fire in the first half, hitting six of its first nine 3-pointers and racing out to a 21-10 lead in the opening 6:33. Peak, who scored 10 points in the first half, hit a shot from long distance at 16:25 to make it 10-4. Copeland hit the second of his first half 3-pointers to push the lead to 18-8 (14:30) and Trawick hit his second trey at 13:27 to give GU a 21-10 lead.

A jumper from Hopkins gave Georgetown a 23-13 lead with 12:43 to play in the half, but the Hoyas went scoreless for the next 4:18 as Utah went on an 11-0 run and took a 24-23 lead on a Taylor 3-pointer with 8:52 to play. A 3-pointer from Peak wrested the lead back from the Blue & Gray and triggered a 7-1 spurt, capped by a Smith-Rivera layup at 5:15 that gave the Hoyas a 30-25 lead.

Georgetown finished the game shooting 43.6 percent from the floor (24-of-55), including 36.0 percent from 3-point land (9-of-25) and the Hoyas hit 7-of-9 free throws (77.8%). The Hoyas held a 27-25 advantage on the boards, handed out nine assists and committed nine turnovers.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned