Megan McDonald

Women's Lacrosse

Georgetown Wins BIG EAST Regular Season With Comeback Victory Over Temple

April 25, 2015

Box Score | Photo Gallery

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University women's lacrosse squad (7-9, 6-1 BIG EAST) won a share of the 2015 BIG EAST Regular Season Championship with a 13-12 comeback victory over the Temple University Owls (10-6, 2-5 BIG EAST) on Saturday afternoon at Multi-Sport Field. The win marked GU's third-consecutive one-goal victory and continued a five-game win streak for the Blue & Gray.

"I'm just happy for the seniors, they haven't won a regular season title since they've been here so it's a great accomplishment for them and something they can look back on proudly," said Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried. "The win gives us momentum and again shows that when we're down, we can come back. We can fight, scrap, show resiliency and toughness. That will serve us well next week."

Junior midfielder Kristen Bandos (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Academy of Notre Dame of Namur) led the way with four goals and an assist, while senior attacker Caroline Tarzian (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) added four goals and junior attacker Corinne Etchison (Eldersburg, Md./McDonogh School) managed two goals and two assists. Seven different Hoyas scored a point in the contest.

The Hoyas outshot the Owls, 32-25, and dominated the draw with 17 to Temple's 10. TU held the 15-8 advantage on ground balls and forced nine GU turnovers while committing just five.

Junior goalkeeper Megan McDonald (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) took the win in the cage with an impressive nine saves in the contest.

The Owls got on the board off of a free position goal less than a minute into the first half and added four more to take a 5-0 lead. Georgetown had chances, but the TU keeper stopped every early attack.

Junior midfielder Natalie Miller (Wayne, Pa./Radnor) started it out for the Hoyas with an unassisted goal at 17:07. After a scoreless drought for both squads, Tarzian found the back of the cage at 7:54 on a perfect assist from Etchison to make it 5-2.

Another Temple free position goal made it a four-goal game at 5:37. However, freshman midfielder Hannah Seibel (Hanover, N.H./Hanover) answered at 4:26 coming in on the right side for a goal to make it 6-3.

Georgetown possessed for the final minute and had chances, but the Blue & Gray couldn't find the back of the cage to make it 6-3 at the half.

It was the Blue & Gray that was hot to begin the second. The Hoyas opened the half with a 3-0 run on unassisted tallies as Tarzian, Bandos and senior midfielder Lauren Schwalje (Setauket, N.Y./St. Anthony's) tied the game with a trio of goals just five minutes in to make it six all.

Temple retook the lead at 21:35 and then added one more making the score 8-6. Bandos came roaring back with an unassisted goal and a free position tally off of the ensuing draw midway through the half.

With the score tied at eight, Temple managed a free position goal and another off of the following draw as GU just couldn't find the go-ahead score. The Owls added one more at 10:07 as the time ticked away.

At 8:53, Tarzian scored her third goal of the contest to stop the Temple momentum and spark a 5-0 run. Less than a minute later, Bandos took the pass from senior defender Adrianne Devine (Loudonville, N.Y./Shaker) and found the back of the cage. A yellow card was assessed to the Owls on the goal and gave GU the ball right back. Etchison added one more to tie it on the man-up possession and then passed to Tarzian to take GU's first lead of the game, 12-11.

Another man-up opportunity gave GU the goal as Etchison received the pass from Bandos to score at 6:03 and make it a two-goal advantage.

The Hoyas went into a stall, but a late turnover put the Owls off to the races. Temple fired it in with 1:10 to go as GU clung to the one-goal lead.

Georgetown pulled in the draw control after a long scramble and possessed as Temple tried to force a turnover. The Owls were unsuccessful as the Blue & Gray hung on to complete the comeback and get the 13-12 victory.

It marked the first regular season championship for the Hoyas since the 2011 season and the 11th in program history.

Saturday was also Senior Day as the nine members of the senior class were honored in a pregame ceremony.

The Hoyas will now prepare for the BIG EAST Championship next week in Storrs, Conn. Second-seeded Georgetown will face the third-seeded University of Connecticut at 7 p.m., on Thursday evening. The game will be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network and live stats will be available at

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned