Women's Lacrosse

Georgetown's Second-Half Rally Falls Short at No. 9 Princeton, 10-9

Feb. 27, 2016

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University women's lacrosse team (0-3) overcame a four-goal halftime deficit, but No. 9 Princeton University (3-0) scored a free position goal in the final seconds to defeat the Hoyas, 10-9, on Saturday afternoon at Princeton's Sherrerd Field at Class of 1952 Stadium.

Francesca Whitehurst (Baltimore, Md./Roland Park Country School) paced the GU offense with four goals while Georgia Tunney (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) scored a pair. Colleen Lovett (Wantagh, N.Y./Wantagh), Taylor Gebhardt (Baldwinsville, N.Y/C.W. Baker) and Natalie Bulgier (Harleysville, Pa./Souderton) each tallied a goal apiece. Maddy Fisher (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) played the first half in goal and made two saves. Megan McDonald (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) played the final 30 minutes and registered three saves.

The Hoyas outshot the Tigers, 26-24, and caused 13 Princeton turnovers.

GU entered the second half down by four, 6-2, but Whitehurst tallied her first goal of the game just 3:20 into the half to cut the deficit to three, 6-3.

After a Princeton goal, Gebhardt and Whitehurst scored back-to-back goals in a 48-second span to pull the Hoyas within two, 7-5, with 17:20 remaining.

The Tigers pulled back ahead by three, but consecutive goals by Tunney, Bulgier and Whitehurst pulled Georgetown even, 8-8, with just 6:23 left to play.

Princeton pulled back ahead with 4:07 left on the clock, but Whitehurst converted a free-position attempt just one minute later again tying the score, 9-9, with just 3:07 left.

The Hoyas won the ensuing draw control, but a turnover gave possession to Princeton. The Tigers ran the clock down to the final seconds, drawing a free-position attempt. Anya Gersoff converted the attempt with just 7.4 seconds remaining to give Princeton a 10-9 advantage.

After a timeout, Georgetown won the draw control, but could not get a shot off as time expired.

Lovett got the scoring started, finding the back of the net just 3:24 into the game and giving the Hoyas an early 1-0 lead.

Princeton scored a pair of quick goals to give the Tigers a 2-1 lead. Olivia Hompe tied the game just 1:07 after Lovett's goal and Anya Gersoff put Princeton ahead with 21-08 left in the first half.

After several minutes of scoreless action, Princeton tallied three quick goals to extend its lead to 5-1 with 6:03 left in the first half.

Tunney ended GU's scoreless drought, scoring a free-position goal with 33 seconds left in the half to cut the deficit to 5-2.

Princeton, however, won the draw control and regained its four-goal lead, scoring with just five seconds left before halftime.

The Hoyas will be back in action next Saturday, March 5, when they travel to Towson University for a 3 p.m. contest.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned