Men's Lacrosse

Men's Lacrosse Returns to Winning Ways

April 18, 2017

Final Stats

Georgetown 11, Mt St Mary's 9 Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON - Georgetown University's men's lacrosse team earned an 11-9 victory over Mount St. Mary's in the 2017 nonconference road finale on Tuesday night. Three different Hoyas recorded hat tricks as the Blue & Gray snapped a six-game losing streak to improve to 3-10 on the season.

Daniel Bucaro (East Setauket, N.Y./Ward Melville) led the Hoyas with four goals, posting his seventh hat trick of the season. He has now recorded a point in 20-straight games during his career, including 14-consecutive games with a goal scored.

Peter Conley (Mamaroneck, N.Y./Mamaroneck) added three goals and a pair of assists for five points, Austin McDonald (Olney, Md./Georgetown Prep) posted his second career hat trick with three goals, and Craig Berge (Massapequa, N.Y./Massapequa) tallied a goal and three assists. Patrick Aslanian (Westfield, N.J./Westfield) chipped in an assist for the Hoyas as well.

Jack Stephenson (Greenwich, Conn./Brunswick) picked up his first career win between the pipes, hauling in nine saves on the day.

Berge, Conley and Michael Mayer (Baltimore, Md./St. Paul's) all collected five ground balls for GU.

Georgetown opened scoring in the game as Bucaro tallied his first goal of the contest courtesy of an assist from Aslanian. Mount St. Mary's (4-8) would respond with back-to-back goals to take its first lead before Conley and Bucaro scored 62 seconds apart to regain the lead, 3-2. The Mountaineers added a late goal in the frame to knot things up at three to close out the period.

In the second, the Blue & Gray rallied off three unanswered goals from Berge, McDonald and Bucaro to take a 6-3 lead at the 8:12 mark, including Bucaro completing his hat trick in the first half. The Mountaineers added a lone goal in the frame and both teams went scoreless in the final seven minutes as GU took a 6-4 lead going into halftime.

Coming out of the break, Bucaro netted his fourth goal of the game to give GU a 7-4 lead but The Mount responded with a goal at the 9:07 mark to keep it a two-goal differential. The Hoyas answered with back-to-back goals from McDonald, completing a hat trick of his own, to lead 9-5. Mount St. Mary's would score two goals within 28 seconds of each other in the waning moments, but the Blue & Gray added one of its own from Conley with 22 ticks left on the clock to take a 10-7 lead going into the final 15 minutes of action.

Keeping things close, the Mountaineers struck first in the fourth quarter to pull within a pair down 10-8 at the 7:09 mark. They would add another with just 2:14 remaining to make it a one-goal game and regain the ball on the ensuing possession, calling timeout with 1:38 remaining to try and even the score and send it to overtime. The Hoya defense would hold however, keeping The Mount without a shot on goal and forcing a turnover. Conley would complete his hat trick with 17 seconds remaining as the Hoyas sealed the 11-9 victory.

Chris DiPretoro led the Mountaineers with three goals and an assist.

The Hoyas have the weekend off before returning to the friendly confines of Cooper Field for the season finale against BIG EAST foe St. John's on Saturday, April 29, at noon.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned