Women's Soccer

Women's Soccer Tops GW, 4-0, for First Win of Season

Aug. 20, 2017

Georgetown 4, GW 0 Get Acrobat Reader

WASHINGTON - Georgetown University's women's soccer team shut out visiting George Washington, 4-0, in non-conference action on Sunday afternoon. The win is the first for the Hoyas in the young 2017 season as they even their record to 1-1-0.

"Those guys were rested," Georgetown Head Coach Dave Nolan said about GW. "They didn't play on Friday and we had probably the most physically and mentally draining kind of game possible. But we just worked at it. I thought we were sloppy in the first half but give them credit. In the end, we got some good goals but I think the score line flattered us. In the second half we just took our chances."

Four different Hoyas scored goals in the game, including senior Rachel Corboz (Green Brook, N.J./Pingry), junior Amanda Carolan (Bayville, N.J./Central Regional) and sophomore Casey Richards (Allendale, N.J./Northern Highlands) with a goal and an assist apiece. Freshman Jenna Menta (Lincolndale, N.Y./Somers Senior) recorded the game-winner with her first career goal while sophomore Carson Nizialek (Chantilly, Va./Freedom) added a pair of assists.

Georgetown dominated the game on the offensive end and outshot the Colonials 20-5 in the game, including an 11-0 blanking in the second half. The Hoyas attempted 18 corner kicks in the contests, making their presence known on GW's half of the pitch the majority of the game.

George Washington (0-1-0) had its chances to score, but was shut down by GU goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman (San Diego, Calif./La Jolla Country Day/UCLA). Just under nine minutes into the game, Schechtman stoned GW forward Brittany Cooper on a one-on-one breakaway at the top of the box. She one-upped herself 22 minutes later, deflecting another one-on-one attempt from GW's Sheila Alberston and saving Albertson's rebound shot while still prone in front of the net. The Colonials wouldn't get another shot off the rest of the game as Schechtman (1-1-0) closed out the shutout with three saves.

"Arielle made a couple of big stops for us and if she hadn't, it's a different game," Nolan said. "When you give a team something to fight for, it's a lot easier. To get in at halftime 0-0, I always felt in the second half we'd get away once and improve our performance."

Coming out of halftime in a scoreless tie, Georgetown opened the scoring just 3:42 into the second frame. Carolan showed off her exceptional field vision and threaded a pass through the middle of the GU defense to find Menta running in stride. The freshman then beat GW's keeper Miranda Horn far post to give the Blue & Gray a 1-0 advantage.

While Georgetown's defense held the Colonials at bay, the Hoyas continued their offensive pressure. Corboz would notch her first goal of the season at the 64:11 mark, collecting a pass by Richards from the end line to the top of the box and found the back of the net for a 2-0 advantage.

The Blue & Gray closed out the last minutes of the game with back-to-back goals just 95 seconds apart. Richards gave GU the 3-0 cushion courtesy of a Nizialek helper at the 87:03 mark while both Corboz and Nizialek assisted on Carolan's goal less than two minutes later at 88:38.

Horn (0-1-1) collected three saves for the Colonials in the loss.

Georgetown returns to action on Thursday, August 24, as it hits the road for the first time this season at Delaware. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. in Newark, Del.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned