Field Hockey
Rafael Suanes/Georgetown Univ.
Georgetown GU (10-5)
Score By Periods
Team 1 2 F
Georgetown GU 1 1 2

Game Recap: Field Hockey |

Georgetown Notches 10th win with Victory over Towson

WASHINGTON– Georgetown University field hockey moves to 10-5 after defeating Towson, 2-1, on Sunday afternoon. The win marks the first time since 2001 that the squad has notched double digit victories in one season. With the loss, Towson drops to 1-13.

"Kelsey and I walked into arguably the best situation possible with this team and program," Head Coach Christy Longacre said. "Shannon did a phenomenal job recruiting and getting the program to where it is today. These girls continue to keep fighting game after game and refuse to stay down even after some tough loses. This is just the start and I'm super excited at what this means for our future."
Towson's lone goal of the match put the Tigers in the lead in the 25th minute of play. Jenna Florenzo scored her first goal of the season on the rebound after goalkeeper Ciara Weets (Springfield, Va. / Lake Braddock Secondary) made the initial save off the shot from Towson's leading scorer, Katie McNeel.
Just five minutes later, Cami Osborne (Newtown Square, Pa. / Academy of Notre Dame de Namur) equalized with a goal off the build up from the Hoyas' seventh penalty corner of the match. Halle Gill (Virginia Beach, Va. / Norfolk Academy) inserted the ball on the play but it was Emily Fraser (Ballston Lake, N.Y. / Shenendehowa), who sent the final pass to Osborne for the put in.
Towson outshot Georgetown in the first half, 3-1. Weets made one save.
In nearly an identical play to the Tigers' goal, Anna Farley (Bel Air, Md. / Bel Air) converted after Osborne's shot was blocked by Towson goalkeeper Mackenzie Peacock. Farley was able to pick up the rebound and finish her shot to give the Hoyas the lead, 2-1, in the 47th minute.
With just over five minutes to play, the Tigers had their best opportunity to equalize when McNeel broke free for a breakaway. Weets came up big and denied her shot to keep the Blue & Gray on top.
Georgetown finished the game with eight shots to Towson's five and 15 penalty corners to the Tigers' one. Weets compiled three saves in the contest.
The Hoyas are back in action on Friday, Oct. 19 as they host Providence at Cooper Field in the squad's second to last BIG EAST matchup of the regular season. Push back is scheduled for 2 p.m. Live stats and a live stream will be available at
Print Friendly Version