field hockey
Providence PC (11-6, 4-2)
Georgetown GU (10-6, 2-4)
Score By Periods
Team 1 2 OT 1 OT 2 OT 3 F
Providence PC 1 0 0 0 1 2
Georgetown GU 0 1 0 0 0 1

Game Recap: Field Hockey |

Georgetown Edged by Providence in Penalty Shootout

WASHINGTON– The Georgetown University field hockey team dropped to 10-6 overall and 2-4 in the BIG EAST after being defeated by Providence, 2-1, on Friday afternoon at Cooper Field in a penalty shootout. After a late goal by the Hoyas and two scoreless overtimes, the game came down to penalty strokes to decide the winner. With the win, Providence moves to 11-6 overall and 4-2 in the BIG EAST.
The Hoyas and the Friars played an even first half with the majority of the play occurring in the midfield. Neither team had many opportunities to convert until Providence broke the draw with just over one minute remaining in the half. Mary O'Reilly sent a shot past Ciara Weets (Springfield, Va. / Lake Braddock Secondary) and the Friars took the lead, 1-0, heading into half. Providence outshot Georgetown, 3-1, in the half and each goalkeeper made one save.
With time running out in the second half, the Friars looked to clinch their fourth BIG EAST contest in regular time, but senior Sam Hickey (Coatesville, Pa.) denied them the clean sheet. Hickey converted for her first goal of the season to tie the game at one all with just eight minutes remaining in regulation. The GU defense held strong in the remaining minutes to force the game into extra time. Georgetown outshot Providence, 7-0 in the second half with Cami Osborne (Newtown Square, Pa. / Academy of Notre Dame de Namur) leading the team with three shots.
In the two, 10-minute sudden victory overtime periods, Weets came up big and made three saves to keep the Hoyas in the match. The 20 minutes expired with no score and the match went into a penalty shootout.
Providence stepped up to the line for the first penalty stroke and converted for its first of three goals in the shootout. Georgetown went 0 for 3 in the shootout and the Friars clinched the win with the game-winning stroke by O'Reilly.
With the loss, the Blue & Gray has been eliminated from the BIG EAST championship. 
The Hoyas are back in action on Sunday, Oct. 21 as they host Longwood at Cooper Field. Before the contest, the team's four seniors will be honored for Senior Day. Push back is scheduled for 1 p.m. Live stats and a live stream will be available at
Print Friendly Version