Men's Soccer

Hoyas Drop Decision to Blue Demons

Oct. 15, 2016

Box Score

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University men's soccer team (3-8-1, 1-3-1 BIG EAST) fell, 1-0, to the DePaul University Blue Demons (6-6-2, 1-4-0 BIG EAST) in a BIG EAST Conference matchup on Saturday afternoon at Shaw Field. The Hoyas outshot DePaul, 17-7, but couldn't generate an equalizer.

"I thought we opened the first 15 minutes as good as we've opened all year, and then to concede a goal like that was really hard to for us to stomach," said Head Coach Brian Wiese. "We're a really frustrated group, the ball in bouncing around in there but we're not finding a way to put it in. If we had gone 1-1 at any point, it would have been a very different game."

Georgetown started the game strong as junior midfielder Arun Basuljevic (Mahopac, N.Y./Mahopac) hit a bicycle that sailed just high in the opening minutes. This was followed by a barrage of dangerous shots from the Blue & Gray. DePaul had a solid chance in the 10th minute that sophomore goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski (Alamo, Calif./De La Salle) saved and contained to keep it scoreless early on.

In the 12th minute, Basuljevic headed in a ball off of a corner kick that went cleanly to the back post but was saved by the Blue Demon defense.

Everything changed in the 15th minute as Philipp Koenigstein sent in the ball with runners in the box. Hans Wustling headed it to the back post to Erik Rodriguez who was unmarked and tapped it in to make it 1-0.

In the 22nd minute, as Blue Demon keeper Quentin Low came out, the Hoyas had two chances that were blocked by the defense. On the other end, a corner kick from DePaul was sent in and hit the crossbar as GU was saved from a two-goal deficit.

Late in the half, Georgetown gained momentum and searched for the equalizer, but couldn't find it as the Blue & Gray went into the half trailing, 1-0.

The Hoyas dominated possession early in the second half. One of the best chances of the game came from freshman forward Achara (Enugu, Nigeria/Berkshire School [Mass.]) who used fancy footwork to get out of traffic and lift it to the near post and a waiting Brett Campbell (Wallingford, Pa./The Haverford School). Low jumped into the air and intercepted the pass to keep the Hoyas at bay.

DePaul packed in the defense the entire second half giving Georgetown ample opportunities, but the Hoyas couldn't connect resulting in the 1-0 final.

The Blue & Gray outshot DePaul, 17-7, and took nine corner kicks to the Blue Demons' two. Low had five saves, and Marcinkowski stopped two.

Georgetown will be back in action on Tuesday as the squad closes out nonconference play hosting Princeton University at 3 p.m., at Shaw Field. Live stats and a webcast featuring Dan Helfrich and Tom Greaser will be available at

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned