Feb. 21, 2016
The Georgetown University women's tennis program split a pair of matches, defeating the No. 15 University of Chicago before falling to DePaul. The Hoyas overall dual match record stands even at 2-2. The last time Georgetown earned a victory over a ranked team was in 2013 when GU defeated No. 33 William & Mary, 4-3.
Sparking an electric open in the UChicago match, Georgetown swept the doubles matches in one set apiece. Finishing first, power duo Victoire Saperstein (Las Vegas, Nev./Odyssey Charter School) and Risa Nakagawa (Rancho Palos Verdes, Calif./Palos Verdes Peninsula) dominated the No. 1 spot with an 8-2 victory over Lucy Tang and Rachel Kim.
The Hoyas also claimed five out of six singles matches with ease. Saperstein continued to lead the way with a 6-3, 6-0 triumph over Ariana Iran pour at the No. 1 spot.
Nakagawa extended her undefeated streak as the freshman defeated Kaela Bynoe, 6-3, 6-3 at the No. 3 spot.
Cecilia Lynham (Chevy Chase, Md./Holton Arms School), Sydney Goodson (Great Falls, Va./Langley High School) and Casey Marx (Mendham, N.J./West Morris Mendham) also claimed individual victories to secure the match for Georgetown, 6-1.
In their second match of the weekend against DePaul, the Hoyas were guided by Goodson. The freshman finished the weekend undefeated as she rallied back to secure the No. 3 spot in three sets.
Georgetown returns to the court on Feb. 26 for its second BIG EAST matchup of the season against St. John's.
Georgetown 6, No. 15 UChicago 1
1. Victorie Saperstein (GU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-3, 6-0
2. Cecilia Lynham (GU) def. Rachel Kim (UC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Risa Nakagawa (GU) def. Kaela Bynoe (UC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Sydney Goodson (GU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 6-4,1-6,6-4
5. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Madeline Foley (GU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Casey Marx (GU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 6-3, 6-1
1. Victoire Saperstein/Risa Nakagawa (GU) def. Lucy Tang/Rachel Kim (UC) 8-2
2. Sara Swift/Sophie Barnard (GU) def. Ariana Iranpour/Kaela Bynoe (UC) 9-7
3. Sydney Goodson/Casey Marx (GU) def. Stephanie Lee/Tiffany Chen (UC) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles(1,3,2) Singles(1,5,3,2,6,4)
No. 49 DePaul 6, Georgetown 1
1. No. 28 Shupenia/Mitrea (DPU) def. Saperstein/Nakagawa (GT) - 6-2
2. Lancranjan/Tesic (DPU) def. Swift/Lynham (GT) - 6-1
3. Marx/Goodson (GT) def. Sufi/Fisher (DPU) - 6-4
1. Shupenia (DPU) def. Saperstein (GT) - 6-2, 6-1
2. Lancranjan (DPU) def. Nakagawa (GT) - 6-4, 6-2
3. Mitrea (DPU) def. Lynham (GT) - 6-3, 7-6
4. Sufi (DPU) def. Barnard (GT) - 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
5. Fisher (DPU) def. Swift (GT) - 3-6, 7-5, 1-0
6. Goodson (GT) def. Tesic (DPU) - 6-3,2-6,1-0