Kelsey Perselay

Women's Lacrosse

Big First Half Propels Georgetown Past Cincinnati

April 11, 2015

Box Score | Photo Gallery

WASHINGTON - The Georgetown University women's lacrosse squad (4-9, 3-1 BIG EAST) used a big first half to down the University of Cincinnati Bearcats (2-12, 0-4 BIG EAST), 8-4, on Saturday afternoon at Multi-Sport Field. Georgetown scored seven of its eight goals in the first to make it two in a row for the Blue & Gray.

"I'm really pleased with the first half, we played really well and played together as a team," said Georgetown Head Coach Ricky Fried. "In the second half, we played the score and got lazy. Their goalie had some nice saves, but we didn't play with the same intensity."

Senior attacker Caroline Tarzian (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) led the way with two goals and an assist, while sophomore attacker Colleen Lovett (Wantagh, N.Y./Wantagh) added a pair of goals. Eight different Hoyas scored a point in the contest.

The Hoyas outshot the Bearcats, 22-18, and dominated the draw with nine to UC's five. Georgetown held the 20-14 advantage on ground balls and forced 17 Bearcat turnovers while committing just 16.

Sophomore goalkeeper Maddy Fisher (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) took the win in the cage with five saves in the contest. Junior goalkeeper Megan McDonald (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) played the final 10 minutes of the game and was impressive in goal with four saves to her credit.

The Hoyas opened the game with a 5-0 run as Tarzian had an unassisted tally barreling through three defenders at 24:26 and then added a free position goal at 22:35. The senior assisted on the third goal as junior midfielder Kristen Bandos (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Academy of Notre Dame of Namur) found the back of the cage to make it 3-0.

Senior midfielder Lauren Schwalje (Setauket, N.Y./St. Anthony's) hit an unassisted goal at 18:28, and senior defender Adrianne Devine (Loudonville, N.Y./Shaker) forced a turnover on the ride and found a charging Natalie Miller (Wayne, Pa./Radnor) who scored at 15:32 to make it a five-goal game.

The Bearcats ended the run with a goal at 13:35, but Lovett came back and scored off the ensuing draw control to make it 6-1.

The Bearcats began to gain more time on offense late in the first half, but the Georgetown defense stopped any attack to keep it a five-goal game.

With 15 seconds remaining in the half, junior attacker Corinne Etchison (Eldersburg, Md./McDonogh School) found Lovett in the middle who sent it past the keeper to make the score 7-1 which would stand at the half.

Both teams were solid on defense to open the second half as it stayed without a goal for the first 15 minutes. At 15:29, Cincy hit a straight-on free position shot and then added two more for a 3-0 run and cutting it to three with nine minutes to go in the game.

Georgetown stopped the run at the five-minute mark when the Bearcats went down a man due to a yellow card. Freshman midfielder Hannah Seibel (Hanover, N.H./Hanover) buried the free position shot to make it 8-4 with five minutes to go.

McDonald was a key on the defensive end of the field late, as she came up with a few big saves to keep the game out of reach for Cincinnati.

In the final two minutes, Georgetown gained possession and managed to hold on for the 8-4 victory.

The Hoyas will be back in action on Wednesday as the squad hosts the University of Connecticut Huskies in another BIG EAST matchup. The opening draw is scheduled for 4 p.m. at Multi-Sport Field. Live stats and an audio-only webcast will be available through The game will also be broadcast live on the BIG EAST Digital Network.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned