March 26, 2016
The Georgetown University men's tennis team fell to crosstown-rival, George Washington, 5-2 in a nonconference match up on Friday afternoon at the GW Tennis Center on the Mount Vernon Campus.
GW took the lead early, sweeping the doubles point.
The Colonials extended their lead and ultimately solidified their fate by winning four of six singles matches.
Peter Beatty (Portland, Ore./Middlesex School) and Will Sharton (Wayland, Mass./Wayland High School) kept the match from being a shutout with three-set victories at the Nos. 3 and 6 spots, respectively.
The Hoyas host Saint Francis (Pa.) on Saturday, April 2 for a 10 a.m. match.
George Washington 5, Georgetown 2
1. Tverijonas/Zelenkov (GW) def. Portner/Chen (GU) 6-2
2. Fletcher/Hadjigeorgiou (GW) vs. Beatty (GU) 4-5, unfinished
3. Reynolds/Kapukiran (GW) def. Khanin/Rechan (GU) 6-2
1. Julius Tverijonas (GW) def. Daniel Khanin (GU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Danil Zelenkov (GW) def. Marco Lam (GU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Peter Beatty (GU) def. Chris Fletcher (GW) 7-5, 2-6, 10-8
4. Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Michael Chen (GU) 6-4, 5-7, 10-7
5. Cahit Hadjigeorgiou (GW) def. Yannik Mahlangu (GT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Will Sharton (GU) def. Cahit Kapukiran (GW) 7-5, 1-6, 10-8