March 11, 2014
LOS ANGELES - The Georgetown men's tennis team (5-7) fell to the UC Irvine Anteaters (5-9) on Tuesday afternoon in Irvine, Calif., 5-2. The match concludes the men's three-match trip out in southern California.
Freshman Jack Murphy (Coronado, Calif./La Jolla Country Day) and junior Alex Tropiano (Laurel Hollow, N.Y./Cold Spring Harbor) won Georgetown's only doubles match on the afternoon, defeating a pair of Anteaters, 8-4.
Murphy and Tropiano also won the only two singles matches for the Hoyas on Tuesday. Murphy played from the No. 3 position and defeated UCI's Jonathan Hammel in three sets, 6-2, 1-6, 6-1.
Tropiano played from the fourth spot and dropped an Anteater in straight sets, 6-3, 6-3.
The Hoyas are next in action when they host the University of D.C. at 2 p.m. on Tues., March 18.
UC IRVINE 5, GEORGETOWN 2
Anteater Tennis Stadium
1. Ryan Cheung / Jonathan Poon (UCI) def. Casey Distaso / Daniel Khanin (GU) - 8-6
2. Jack Murphy / Alex Tropiano (GU) def. Jonathan Hammel / Tyler Pham (UCI) - 8-4
3. Justin Agbayani / Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. John Brosens / Max Novak (GU) - 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. Ryan Cheung (UCI) def. Daniel Khanin (GU) - 6-1, 6-4
2. Tyler Pham (UCI) def. Shane Korber (GU) - 6-1, 6-3
3. Jack Murphy (GU) def. Jonathan Hammel (UCI) - 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
4. Alex Tropiano (GU) def. Shuhei Shibahara (UCI) - 6-3, 6-3
5. Caryl Hernandez (UCI) def. Casey Distaso (GU) - 6-3, 6-4
6. Justin Agbayani (UCI) def. Jordan Portner (GU) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 5, 3, 6