Georgia Tunney

Women's Lacrosse

Georgetown Upsets No. 14/ 15 Duke

March 9, 2016

Box Score


Behind 10 goals, 16 groundballs and nine saves, the Georgetown University women's lacrosse team (1-4) upset the No. 14/15 Duke University Blue Devils (4-4), 10-9, Wednesday afternoon at Koskinen Stadium. The Hoya victory is Georgetown's ninth overall win against the Blue Devils and the third time GU defeated Duke under Head Coach Ricky Fried.

"We had a great team effort today," Fried said. "We played a quality opponent and our student-athletes competed hard for 60 minutes and trusted each other."

Lead by Kristen Bandos (Bryn Mawr, Pa./Academy of Notre Dame of Namur) with three goals, Georgetown featured four players with multiple goals on the day to collect its first win of the season. Despite being outshot and Duke having more draw controls, the Hoya defense forced 10 Duke turnovers and claimed 16 ground balls to maintain control of the game.

Splitting time in the game Maddy Fisher (Ellicott City, Md./Mount Hebron) collected three saves in the first half while Megan McDonald (Garden City, N.Y./Garden City) stood strong for six saves in the second half.

Bandos got Georgetown on the board less than two minutes into the contest with her ninth goal of the season. The junior's goal sparked a 5-0 run for the Hoyas, their biggest opening lead this season. The run featured goals form Francesca Whitehurst (Baltimore, Md./Roland Park Country School), Georgia Tunney (Towson, Md./Notre Dame Prep) and Morgan Rubin (Baltimore, Md./Bryn Mawr School).

Duke responded with its first goal of the game at 8:13, but the Hoyas stayed focused as Bandos netted her second goal of the game just 11 seconds later.

The Blue Devils responded with back-to-back scores, but Georgetown would maintain a 6-3 advantage heading into the half.

The Blue & Gray opened the second half just like the first as Corinne Etchison (Eldersburg, Md./McDonogh School) scored at 29:40 to push the Hoyas' lead to 7-3.

The squads traded goals for the next 13 minutes, but the Hoyas kept ahead 10-5 with 16:45 left on the clock.

However, the Blue Devils didn't back down and came right back with a 4-0 run of their own spanning 16 minutes. With Georgetown's lead cut to one, 10-9, Bandos collected the final draw and the Hoyas ran out the clock for the one-goal victory.

Georgetown will be back in action on Saturday as the squad hosts Penn at 3 p.m., at Cooper field. Live stats will be available at and live broadcast of the game will be on the BIG EAST Digital Network.

Print Friendly Version

Players Mentioned