April 30, 2016
On the third day of the BIG EAST Championships, the Georgetown University men's tennis team dominated, 4-0, against Villanova in the back draw of the championships on Saturday at the Cayce Tennis & Fitness Center in Cayce, S.C. Earlier in the day, the No. 4 women fell to No. 1 DePaul in the semifinals, 4-0.
No. 4 Georgetown Men's Tennis 4, No. 8 Villanova 0 (BIG EAST Back Draw)
Georgetown swept in doubles action to secure the first point. Jack Murphy (Coronado, Calif./La Jolla Country Day) and Mac Rechan (Clayton, Mo./Clayton) collected the first win at No. 3 with a 6-4 finish over Matt Phelps and Tommy Dodson. Jordan Portner (Ellicott, Md./Mount Saint Joseph) and Michael Chen (Holmdel, N.J./Holmdel High School) followed with a 6-4 victory at No.1 over Chris Seitz/Bradley Noyes.
Commanding the court in singles action, the Blue & Gray saw straight set wins in three out of six flights. Sophomores Marco Lam (Hong Kong, China/Diocesan Boys' School) and Peter Beatty (Portland, Ore./Middlesex School) and junior Yannik Mahlangu (Henderson, Nev./Green Valley High School) clinched victories at the Nos. 2, 3 and 5 spots, respectively, to give the Hoyas a 4-0 win.
The GU winning-performance is the second Hoya victory against the Wildcats this season as Georgetown defeated the BIG EAST opponent, 5-2, in the regular season finale. Overall, the Hoyas finish 9-9 on the season.
1. Daniel Khanin (GU) vs. Chris Seitz (VUM) 7-6, 2-3, unfinished
2. Marco Lam (GU) def. Bradley Noyes (VUM) 6-1, 6-3
3. Peter Beatty (GU) def. Luis Miranda (VUM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Mike Chen (GU) vs. Tommy Dodson (VUM) 2-6, 6-3, 0-1, unfinished
5. Yanniik Mahlangu (GU) def. Jimmy Purdy (VUM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Will Sharton (GU) vs. Alastair Hurry (VUM) 6-3, 6-5, unfinished
1. Jordan Portner/Mike Chen (GU) def. Chris Seitz/Bradley Noyes (VUM) 6-4
2. Yanniik Mahlangu/Peter Beatty (GU) vs. Luis Miranda/William Elmore (VUM) 6-5, unfinished
3. Jack Murphy/Mac Rechan (GU) def. Matt Phelps/Tommy Dodson (VUM) 6-4
No. 4 Georgetown Women's Tennis 0, No. 1 DePaul 4 (BIG EAST Semifinals)
The top-seeded DePaul Blue Demons took an early 1-0 advantage as they swept the doubles point.
The Hoyas looked to bounce back in singles play but the defending BIG EAST Champions secured straight set victories at the fourth, third and second flights for a 4-0 DePaul win.
The loss snapped a six-match winning streak for the Hoyas, putting Georgetown at 13-5 overall on the season. The 13-5 campaign boasts the most wins for the Blue & Gray since 2013 when the Hoyas captured 15 wins.
- Yuliya Shupenia (DPUW) vs. Victoire Saperstein (GU) 7-6 (7-5), unfinished
- Patricia Lancranjan (DPUW) def. Risa Nakagawa (GU) 6-3, 6-0
- Marina Cozac (DPUW) def. Sara Swift (GU) 6-0, 6-4
- Rebeca Mitrea (DPUW) def. Sydney Goodson (GU) 6-1, 6-4
- Zaina Sufi (DPUW) vs. Mimi Lynham (GU) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
- Jarret Fisher (DPUW) vs. Sophie Barnard (GU) 6-3, 3-4, unfinished
- Rebeca Mitrea/Patricia Lancranjan (DPUW) vs. Victoire Saperstein/Risa Nakagawa (GU) 5-3, unfinished
- Yuliya Shupenia/Zaina Sufi (DPUW) def. Sydney Goodson/Sara Swift (GU) 6-3
- Marina Cozac/Jarret Fisher (DPUW) def. Sophie Barnard/Casey Marx (GU) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,3,2)